Sunday, November 27, 2016

spotlight on: new-to-me favorite things

Welcome to Spotlight On: A Monthly Series! This is something that I do once a month here at Stardust and Words, and the topic ranges from anything bookish that I've been loving to life updates to thoughts that won't leave my head. This month, since I've been a little spotty in my posting the last few months, I just wanted to sit down and have a chat with you guys! I want to talk about all of the bookish things that I've been loving in the past couple of months, from books to authors to blogs :)

Authors Who Have Made Their Mark 

Nicola Yoon – I read her debut novel, Everything, Everything, last year when it came out, and though I really liked it, I wasn't totally blown away. However, upon reading her second book, The Sun is Also A Star, I have to say that I have been thinking that Nicola Yoon is one of the most talented young adult writers that I've read lately. The way she writes is so deeply human, I think there is something in it for everyone. Definitely she is becoming an auto-buy author for me.

Mindy McGinnis – I have had a couple of her books on my TBR for a long time, but I didn't get around to any of them UNTIL I read The Female of the Species, which came out recently. Let me just say that I was totally blown away. I couldn't believe that McGinnis had the guts to write a novel like this one, and I have the utmost respect for her and am kind of in awe of her for pulling it off as well as she did. Mad props.

Anna Marie McLemore – Magical realism at its finest is what I encountered when I read McLemore for the first time last month. Her most recent release, When the Moon Was Ours, tackles issues from identity to sexuality to going from friends to something more, and I absolutely loved it. I can't wait to see what else she puts out, because I just know that it is going to be gorgeous.

Books That Have Made An Impression 

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff – a Short Summary of this book: holy shit this girl is a total badass, oh my goodness that is a lot of blood, wow i did not see that plot twist coming, this world building is awesome

THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis – a Short Summary of this book: this book is speaking to me, wow I have encountered that casual sexism as well, FEMINISM!!, what you wish you could do to jerks, great friendships/heartbreaking plot developments, violence trigger warning

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur – a Short Summary of this poetry collection: this is the most beautiful thing I've ever read, this is some real shit, poetry shouldn't be able to be this heartbreakingly real

Him and Us by Sabrina Bowen and Elle Kennedy – a Short Summary of this book: i usually never get into NA but THIS BOOK, holy hell this is the cutest thing ever, m/m romance, healthy relationships that you will get jealous of, crying because of the adorableness, hockey which is new

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna Marie McLemore – a Short Summary of this book: tackling the real issues, positive trans and lgbtq representation, magical realism that revolves a lot around pumpkins?, water and roses and stars, friendship is the strongest thing besides family, friends to lovers trope

The Sun is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon – a Short Summary of this book: immigration/family issues/fitting in/finding your unique identity are all things that can be made beautiful, super interesting narration style you will fall in love, beautiful boys, beautiful girls, culture clash, love and destiny and math and science, some things are meant to be

Twitters to Follow 

(as ALWAYS) Emery Lord @emerylord
Adam Silvera @adamsilvera
Strand Book Store @strandbookstore  


Misc. Things I've Been Loving 

Reruns of America's Next Top Model
Moana and its soundtrack
Panera Hot Chocolate
Counting down the days until Christmas!!!

sorry that this post is a little bit all over the place, I just wanted to get all of the things I've been loving recently onto a page! Hopefully one of you will get a suggestion of what to read or enjoy next from this post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

80% Read the Printed Word!