Tuesday, March 8, 2016

top ten tuesday: characters I just don't get

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is "March 8: Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike." I'm doing my top characters that people *love* but that I could never get behind. Also: these all ended up being boys because I'm 100% more distrustful of boys than girls lol!

1. Morpheus – Splintered Series by A.G. Howard: I know that everyone loves Morpheus so much, but I tend to latch on to the first male protag that I see, and I stayed loyal to Jeb through this entire trilogy. I just got creepy vibes from Morpheus, I can't explain it. 

2. Theo – The Firebird Trilogy by Claudia Gray : Okay, this one is less strong because I know most people love Paul, but I have seen a few people pining for Theo, so I put him on here. Even though he kind of redeems himself in the second book of this series, I still don't love him

3. The Darkling – The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo: I never really liked any of Alina's options in this series, I really just wanted her to be by herself and fine with it, but I knew with certainty that I didn't want her to be with the darkling. 

4. Dorian – Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J Maas: I love Dorian as a character, for sure. I want for him to be happy! But I follow tons of people who ship him with Aelin, and I do NOT want that to happen at all. Total Rowaelin girl right here. 

5. Kaden – The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E Pearson: I love Rafe!!! I love him!!! I like Kaden okay, but I don't feel as protective over him as lots of people do. I think this is probably an unpopular opinion, but hey, what can I say?

6. Jacob – Twilight by Stephanie Meyer: as a fourteen year old, which is the last time I read Twilight, I was totally into Edward's creepiness and didn't care for Jacob like, at all. There's no telling what I would think if I read these now though...

7. Sebastian – The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare: I know there were a ton of people that wanted Sebastian to be redeemed, and that believed that he was really good underneath the demon influences or whatever but I was totally fine with the ending that he got. I wasn't particularly bothered with his soul because I wasn't attached to him like the other characters. 

8. Gale – The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Gale is just selfish and makes me go NO. 


I understand that some of these are unpopular opinions, so feel free to disagree with me! It won't bother me at all :) Love a spirited debate about fictional characters. 

xx
Caroline

13 comments:

  1. I so agree on the team Dorian. I love Dorian, but not for Aelin. Even in the first book I felt like their relationship was awkward. I love him though, I hope he finds someone to make him happy... poor guy has been through so much.

    Rowaelin for life! Queen of Shadows made me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Like I don't mind him as a character, but I definitely don't think he and Aelin should be together. ROWAELIN!!! yeah!!!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo! I totally agree about Dorian, he's so wrong for Aelin and I don't understand why everyone ships them together? Just because he's a king and she's a queen doesn't mean they're destined to be together. I'll always be a Chaolaena shipper, but I do have to admit, Rowan makes me squeal almost as much as Chaol did.
    But ahh, The Darkling. That's where I'll disagree. I don't even understand WHY I like him? He was horrible and abusive and manipulative, yet my heart was screaming for him the entire time. I guess I like my men evil hahaha. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly I totally agree I feel like people just think that they should be together because they're royalty. I used to ship Chaol so much, but Queen of Shadows totally turned me into a rowaelin gal. hahaha so many people say that about the darkling, you are definitely not alone!

      Delete
  3. Gale almost made my list! And while (when I was a youngling and a Twilight fan...yes...I'll admit to that. lol) I was a #TeamJacob girl - I do agree now that he's a lacking character. To be honest, all three of them were like...ok..yea...why did I get into this series? Oh yes. I was a teenager. I thought it was romantic. hahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah edward and bella AND jacob all suck. when I was in middle school they were my faves, and I don't know what that says about me as a person... haha

      Delete
  4. The Darkling and Mal have made almost every single list I have read this way, some saying they love them, most saying they hate them. I was a fan of both, though! They had their flaws, sure, but so did Alina! I never shipped The Darkling with Alina though, I just liked him as a character and desperately wanted him to make better choices.

    Also, your blog is just gorgeous!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the grisha boys are pretty polarizing! I wasn't like 100% a fan or 100% not a fan of any of them! Definitely agree that they all have flaws. thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not a big Gale fan either, never have been. I've only read the first Grisha book, but plan to read the others soon. I don't have a strong opinion on the Darkling, but I know people love him. I'm curious to find out where I'll fall. Love the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I feel like you don't get really into the Darkling's character until the second or third books! I hope that you end up liking the rest of the series :)

      Delete
  6. Okay I haven't read all of these yet. I don't ship Dorian either but I am team Chaol lol. The Darkling, Sebastian, and Gale I get. Darkling was an interesting character and after reading the novella I maybe liked him a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be team Chaol before Rowan came into the picture. I agree that the Darkling isn't *all* bad, I just couldn't get behind him because of the things that he does to alina!

      Delete
  7. Gale was on my list! I don't ship Dorian and Aelin, but I do like Dorian as a character.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-47/

    ReplyDelete

80% Read the Printed Word!