Tuesday, June 30, 2015

top ten tuesday: best of 2015 (so far)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish, where each week we have a different themed list of fun bookish things! This week's theme is: "June 30: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2015," which is really difficult for me, because I have really been having a spectacular reading year so far! But I did manage to narrow it down to ten, so here we go!

January 

1. Heir of Fire – Sara J Maas

This was the first book I finished in 2015, and if that isn't getting the year off to a kick-ass start, I don't know what is. This third installment in the Throne of Glass series definitely solidified it as one of my all-time favorite series, it's just so kick-ass and amazing, and I cannot wait for the fourth book, which comes out in September. If you haven't jumped on this bandwagon yet, do yourself a favor and read these books!





February

2. The Song of Achilles – Madeline Miller

I'd heard amazing things about this before I started it, and it definitely lived up to the hype. I absolutely love everything having to do with Greek mythology and stories, and I liked that this was a retelling, but it actually does take place in ancient Greece. I loved the take on Achilles and Patroclus, I felt that this book really humanized them in a way I hadn't seen before. I have a full review of this HERE




3. A Thousand Pieces of You – Claudia Gray

The multiverse and a love that spans dimensions... this is one of the most unique stories I've read this year for sure, and also one of my absolute favorites. This book has some absolutely breathtaking settings, as the characters travel from dimension to dimension, and that was a big plus for me with this one. Also, the love story is just so dang adorable, I couldn't put this one down. I have a full review HERE





March

4. Mosquitoland – David Arnold

A completely unexpected gem, for me at least. I wasn't expecting to love this one at all, but it was incredible. The narration was, dare I say, poignant, and I connected to the characters and their struggles right away. I love Mim Malone, and the fact that the adventures she has in this book are utterly ridiculous just adds to its charm. I was completely taken in by the spell that this book weaves, and I know I will be going back to this one again and again. I have a full review HERE



5. A Darker Shade of Magic – V.E. Schwab 

This was one of my most highly anticipated books of the entire year, because I was so impressed with the description, and I had heard amazing things about V.E. Schwab. It definitely lived up to the hype. I loved the magical world, with multiple Londons layered on top of each other, each more fantastic than the last. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those epic series, and I can't wait for the next book. Full review HERE.





April

6. Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda – Becky Albertalli

One of only three contemporaries on this list, this one was probably the most fun I had reading a book all year. I actually listened to the audiobook, and that probably contributed to how hilarious it was, but I seriously loved it. Simon's voice is so real, like I could actually picture one of my friends saying what he was saying, and I loved the cast of characters that surrounded him. Definitely a must read! Full review HERE.





May 

7. An Ember in the Ashes – Sabaa Tahir

The world of this novel is the thing that really drew me in when I first started it. It is incredibly well-developed, without ever making you read pages and pages of tedious world building. The plot had me on my toes through the entire novel, there was never a place where I felt ok putting the book down for awhile. I encourage you to get swept away in this incredible setting, because this series is going to be amazing, I guarantee. I have a full review HERE.




8. A Court of Thorns and Roses – Sarah J Maas

You know that I'm obsessed with Sarah J Maas when she has two books on this list, in two different series. This is actually my perfect novel, as I have mentioned before. It is a beauty and the beast retelling, combined with fae lore and all of the badass girls and sexy dudes. I am obsessed with this book, so I encourage you all to read it, for my sanity, because I don't think I will rest until everyone has read this amazing novel. Full review HERE.




June
 
9.The Wrath and the Dawn – Renee Ahdieh

I wasn't even planning on reading this book. I thought it looked good, but it wasn't something that immediately captured my attention. However, upon the recommendation of SO MANY people, I had to finally cave and join the hype. And let me tell you, I am so glad that I did. This book is so different, everything from the setting to the hints of magic to the main protags. I loved every single second of it, and I think that everyone could find something to love in this one too. Full review HERE.



10. The Start of Me and You – Emery Lord

This is my summery romance novel of this list, even though it is also much deeper than just a summer romance novel, but I digress. I cannot express how much I loved the relationships in this book, whether they were familial, friendship-y or romantic, they were all very compelling and real to me. I loved that the main character had to learn to move on from her past and accept herself before she could accept someone else into her heart. All very emotional stuff for me. Full review HERE.



&&& a bonus duo honorable mention
11-12. The Winner's Curse & The Winner's Crime – Marie Rutkoski  

what have you been loving this year??

xx
Sunny 

21 comments:

  1. Great list! I really need to read A Darker Shade of Magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many books that I'm so excited about on this list! As a huge Victoria Schwab fan, I have no idea how I haven't read A Darker Shade of Magic yet. And Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda HAS to be great. It just has to. From everything I've heard, I think I'll be agreeing with you about the authentic voice.

    Here's reading more great books the second half of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally can't decide whether I like ADSOM or Vicious better, but you should definitely read ADSOM soon! And Simon is amazing too :) I hope you have a great rest of the year!

      Delete
  3. Every single book but one: The Song of Achilles, is on my TBR pile. Great list! Many of these I already have to read too, so thank goodness for not having to hunt them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah well they are all amazing, so you really can't go wrong!! I wish you all the luck in your reading endeavors :)

      Delete
  4. I just got The Wrath and the Dawn in the mail! I can't wait to start it. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh I loved it so much I can't wait for you to read it and experience the amazingness of it all!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of these books, although one of them is on request for me at the local library (A Court of Thorns and Roses). I'll have to check them out!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check some of them out, if any of them appeal to you!! I hope you like A Court of Thorns and Roses, it is simply amazing! :)

      Delete
  6. I loved Simon too! And I love how many lists I am seeing him on today. I also loved ACOTAR but that was no surprise since I love TOG so much! I just bought The Wrath and the Dawn the other day so I'm happy to see you enjoyed it enough to put it on your list!
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Simon is my child, I'm so proud to see him on so many people's lists! Sarah J Maas continues to amaze me :) I hope you enjoy the Wrath and the Dawn!

      Delete
  7. Great picks!! I need to read A Thousand Pieces of You -- that cover is GORGEOUS!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover of A Thousand Pieces of You was one of the main draws, but the story was also amazing!!! Thanks Eva :)

      Delete
  8. Great list!
    I love how you separated it by months.
    I'm reading Heir of Fire right now and it's amazing.
    It was the exact same way for me with The Wrath and the Dawn. But i'm SO GLAD that I read it.
    I'm hoping to get around to Emery Lord's Open Road Summer series and ACOTAR very soon. Hopefully I really like them!
    Olivia @ Fluttering Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for noticing how I separated them, that makes me so happy :) Ahh when you get to the end of Heir of Fire get ready for insanity. I hope you get to Emery Lord and ACOTAR soon! I'm sure you'll like them!!

      Delete
  9. Ah! How could I forget to put A Thousand Pieces of You on my list??? That book was SO good!! I am really looking forward to reading Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda. I have it from the library and I'm hoping to start it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was so good!!!!! I can't wait for the second one! I really hope you enjoy Simon, I just had so much fun with that one :)

      Delete
  10. An Ember in the Ashes made my TTT list too! The Wrath and the Dawn was great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked An Ember in the Ashes, I thought it was completely amazing. I'll be sure to check out your TTT :)

      Delete
  11. Great list! I've read and loved some of those and the rest of them I keep seeing around this week.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete

80% Read the Printed Word!