Thursday, April 9, 2015

a week of recommendations: day four

Welcome back to A Week of Recommendations! This is the fourth of five days, and today's theme is Paranormal books!

I, frankly, have not read that many paranormal books. To be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure even what makes a book paranormal and not just fantastical. But, that being said, I am not a huge fan of vampires, monsters, ghosts, horror, etc, which I'm pretty sure is what the genre of "paranormal" is all about. However, I did scrape together the few I have read into a list for you guys :)

I read this one in the end of 2013, and I absolutely loved it. I usually don't like vampires, (I actually think Twilight was the last vampire book that I read before this) but I actually really enjoyed what Holly Black did with hers. It definitely taught me not to discount vampire books. Black's take is creepy and elegant, with bits of grittiness and some seriously cool imagery. I personally think that this is a YA paranormal staple.

 
This is one of the most unique stories that I have ever come across. It combines witches and seers with private school boys, ley lines and Welsh mythology, which sounds like it wouldn't go together at all, but somehow totally totally does. I have yet to continue on with the next two books in this eventual quartet, but once the final book comes out later this year, I intend to binge read all four of them. 

I haven't read this one in a long time, but I do remember vaguely that it was Christmastime and my whole family was staying at my house, so I was sleeping on a blow up mattress in our bonus room and crying over this book at 2 in the morning. This is one about a girl and a boy who have always been in each other's heads, able to communicate telepathically. However, when this, very real, very live boy moves to the hometown of the girl counterpart and gruesome things start happening in the woods nearby, things get complicated. (I'd just like to point out that I was so DEVASTATED by the end of this book that I have yet to bring myself to proceed on with the series, so read at your own risk. It was still an amazing book though!)

This is the first book in a six book series about a school for vampires. I love the series with all of my heart, and the first installment is particularly stellar. This was a vampire book that I read in the wake of my "let's give vampires a chance!" kick that came from reading The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. And I did not regret giving these vampires a chance. I loved the way that Mead set up the whole hierarchy of vampires and half-vampires, and I would absolutely love to attend St. Vladimir's. 

Ok, four recommendations was about all I could manage for paranormal! (insert embarrassed, grimacing emoji) I've read others, but none that I really liked as much as these four! Obviously, I need help. Comment some paranormal suggestions below :) 

xx
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

80% Read the Printed Word!