Friday, April 10, 2015

a week of recommdenations: day five

This is the fifth and final day of a week of recommendations! This week has been so much fun, and I hope that y'all have enjoyed it and at least gotten a couple recommendations from these posts! Special thanks for Violet for inviting me along with her on this week of posts!

This last day is a day for retellings, which are something that Violet and I cannot get enough of. I've always loved fairytales and myths and folklore, and retellings give me a chance to read stories that I love all over again, anew. Retellings are one of my favorite sub-genres under the umbrella of YA or Adult, and I am really excited to share some of my favorite picks with you. 

Cinder is the first in an eventual quartet called the Lunar Chronicles, and if you've been on booktube or around the blogging sphere then you'll know that these are extremely popular books with tons of people. Each installment is a sci/fi, futuristic fairy tale retelling, and they are all so creative, my mind is blown even more than I thought possible with every book. Cinder is, obviously, a retelling of Cinderella. Scarlet, the second book, is a Red Riding Hood retelling, and Cress, which is book three, tells the story of Rapunzel. However, all the characters and stories are so intertwined, there is a lot more going on in each book than just the retelling at hand. They're amazing! You should all read them! 

This is a a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, with elements of Roman society and mythology thrown in for good measure. I adored this book when I first read it, and the ending is seriously so epic! The world of Cruel Beauty is brilliant and different and dangerous, and I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a Beauty and the Beast story with a twist. 

Though this is a middle grade series, I enjoy myself immensely when I'm reading the Land of Stories books. Though they aren't strictly retellings, they do include characters from all of your favorite fairy tales, all in one world, so I count them. Since they are middle grade, they're fast paced and just so much fun. 

I am a huge fan of the 12 Dancing Princesses, and I have read multiple retellings of this classic story. However, I think that Entwined is my favorite. It is darker and somehow deeper than most of the other versions that I have read, and I love the characters so much. The 12 Princesses, in this retelling are strong and three dimensional, quite a feat when there are 12+ characters to develop. I love this retelling, it is graceful and twisted. 

This is the first book in a trilogy that retells Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland stories. Violet urged me to read this series for ages and I never got around to it until this year, and I was amazed. This too is a darker story than even the original Alice, which is pretty twisted in its own way. I think this is a must read for anyone who enjoys retellings of any sort, and even anyone who just wants to be swept away in a different sort of world. 

And here we come to the end of a week of recommendations! I hope you all had as much fun as I did. 

xx
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

80% Read the Printed Word!