Tuesday, February 24, 2015

top ten tuesday: badass book heroines

Hello all! I'm sorry I've been relatively absent from the blogging sphere for the past couple of weeks, but I've had midterms and an insane amount of writing to do, so that took precedence. But I am back and my schedule is clear for the next couple weeks, so lets talk heroines!


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish, and this week's theme is "February 24: Top Ten Favorite Heroines From Books (Or you could pick movies/tv)." Naturally, since I have a deep, deep love for badassery and amazing ladies, I gasped aloud when I saw this theme. I thought "FINALLY. MY TIME HAS COME." 

And then I proceeded to make a list of like 25 women and girls that I look up to in fiction. Which I see as the opposite of problematic. But it was rather hard to narrow it down! So here are my tippy top ten heroines that I love.
1. Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J Maas.  It says a lot that Celaena made it to the top of this list, especially because this series is relatively new, and not something that I have been with since I was little. However, Celaena is one of my favorite characters ever, and I have fallen so in love with her character development and struggles and just all around light that she is definitely number one in my heart. 

2. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Ever since I was little and first reading the Harry Potter series, I related very strongly with Hermione. As a socially awkward, bookish, know it all kid, she was and is kind of my hero. I love her for her flaws and for her triumphs, and I think that's important. Hermione is obviously very smart, but it's the times when she shows why she is in Gryffindor and not Ravenclaw that I think I truly came to love her. 

3. Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson and the Olympians & Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan. Annabeth is another character that I have loved since middle school, not only for her brains but for her heart. In both of these series, Annabeth puts up with so much shit, and she is stronger and more capable because of it. I feel particularly in awe of Annabeth in The Mark of Athena, book 4 in the Heroes of Olympus series. She's just amazing. 

4. Tessa Gray from The Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare. This is one of my favorite series in existence, and it is driven, for me at least, primarily by the strength and selflessness of its heroine, the wonderful Tessa Gray. Though she is confused and scared for most of the books, Tessa is warm and kind, willing to do whatever it takes to protect those that she loves, even through betrayals and hardships. 

5. Katsa from Graceling by Kristen Cashore. I think that Katsa might be the girl on this list that is literally the most badass in terms of fighting, besides Celaena. However, as someone who thinks her entire life will always be dedicated to killing, Katsa is a surprisingly warm and compassionate person. Guarded, for sure, but also someone who wants to do what is right, despite the wake of death she leaves. I love her romance in the book, and how falling in love did not take away from her independence and firceness.

6. Tris Prior from the Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. Ever since I read the first book of this trilogy, years ago, Tris' transformation from meek abnegation to completely fearless dauntless inspired me. Tris is who I aspire to be like, someone who is almost entirely without fear, who can literally walk through fire and live and live fully. Obviously, extenuating circumstances in the conclusion to this trilogy left me extremely upset (UNDERSTATEMENT ALERT) 
7. Cath Avery from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Of course I have to include a Rainbow Rowell character on this list, because they're all so amazing. And obviously, I've gone in a more badass vein than simply a "these are my favorite girls" in this list, but even though Cath isn't necessarily what you would call badass, she kind of is in her own way. Cath overcomes a lot of anxiety and insecurity over the course of the book, which I find inspiring. Plus, I think most girls who are rather bookish (like me) can see some of themselves in Cath. 

8. Karou from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. I admire Karou so much, because though all of these girls go through hard times, I honestly think Karou might have it the worst. By the end of the first book, so much has gone wrong in her life, I would expect her to just check herself into a mental hospital and spend the rest of her days crying and eating ice cream. But Karou steels herself and does the unthinkably brave. She is simultaneously so admirably strong and also endearingly weak, it is truly incredible.
9. Alex Andros from the Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Alex is the amazingly gifted daimon hunter we didn't know we needed. She is tough and again, nearly fearless, but also has some daddy issues which lead her to make perhaps some poor choices when it comes to boys. But who hasn't, right? That is what makes us like Alex for who she is, not because of what she can do. 

10. Alina Starkov from the Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. As far as the whole "normal girl finds out she has incredible powers" trope, Alina is by far the most interesting example. I love the mythology incorporated into the world of this series, but I also love Alina as a protagonist. She's living in a very hard world, and she has to make some impossible decisions, but she is still strong and wholly her own. 

Those are just a few of my favorite heroines from fiction! What are some of yours? 
xx
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

80% Read the Printed Word!